This season’s Ski 4 Kids festival is just around the corner! Join exuberant children and families from around the district on Saturday, February 26th, for a day of fun on skis. Festivities kick off at noon at Kincaid Stadium and run until approximately 3:30 PM. Please visit NSAA’s website for registration information, and don’t forget to register online ahead of time if you plan on skiing the timed 3 km course.
There will be outdoor activity stations for participants to try out new experiences, play games, and a timed 3 km ski course. There will also be an untimed storyboard loop that will remain up for the week following the event. Ski 4 Kids substitutes for our regular Saturday practice to ensure that all Junior Nordic families can attend.
Here are the top 10 reasons to be there:
- Try out a sit ski. It’s harder than it looks. You’ll be amazed at how much upper body strength is required. Thanks to Ira Edwards for his help with this station.
- Use lasers at the biathlon station. That’s right! Lasers!
- Leap off jumps and perform tricks on the obstacle ski course. This station is always popular, even with adults, and sometimes the costumed animals. Test your agility!
- Show off your skiing skills on the race course. There will be a 3K timed course for young skiers of all ages. Down the hill, up the hill, zoom, zoom, zoom!
- Follow the story. An untimed course will include storyboards with features from the story adorning the path. Do you like author Steven Kellog? Then you will like this story trail!
- Try a kid-sized fat-tire bike. The Alaska Center’s Trailside Discovery Camp is loaning some of their bikes for kids to ride. It’s a whole different way to recreate on snow!
- Get oriented! Try a fun orienteering course with the Arctic Orienteering Club.
- Enjoy cookies, hot chocolate, and sandwiches. Subway and Kaladi Brothers Coffee are generously providing refreshments. And since we’re now allowed to server food at NSAA events, this is your chance to grab that Great Harvest Cookie that you missed at this year’s Cookie Tour!
- Listen to really goofy announcers and fun music. Trust us, these announcers are professional goofballs. Sometimes they even pretend to be adults. They’ve been preparing their playlist for months and are ready for a PARTY!
- Get a customized Ski 4 Kids buff. Fashionable and practical, people will know you across town as a Nordic skiing fan.
Thank you, sponsors!
Please join us in thanking our generous financial sponsors: Conoco Phillips, Banker Law Group, Advanced Oncology Associates, the Anchorage Radiation Oncology Center, Continental Subaru, Anchorage Pediatric Group, Elsberg Family Foundation, and Skogsbarn.
Ski 4 Kids would also like to extend a special thanks to Brad Cooke and his team at the Anchorage Municipality Parks and Recreation Department for the multitude of contributions to this event – Kincaid logistics, race timing organization, artistic props for the story course, funding for this year’s buffs, and more. We appreciate the City of Anchorage supporting youth skiers!